"Take care of your body, its the only place you have to live"



Thursday, September 2, 2010

One of the most testing times in my life!!

I wanted to write this blog to fill you all in on the past 10 weeks. I have had a very testing time and feel that writing my story down is a great way for me to pick myself back up and start again.


It all started about 10 weeks ago, there I was, all set to rip it up and train hard for my upcoming comp's in NZ and in Australia. I began my comp prep as normal at the beginning of August. I started training hard, and the diet kicked into play. From the get go, I wasn't feeling myself at all and I was really struggling to find the motivation to train and stick to my diet. My body was screaming out for rest. I just put it down to over training and left it at that. Then I got hit with the flu really bad, and had to take a week off training all together. So that got me down in a big way.. My body was obviously trying to tell me something.. SLOW DOWN!!

About a week or so later, I was teaching RPM and I felt like I had been hit by a bus, I was on the bike teaching, but felt like I wasn't even there. I was on another planet and just felt like I wanted to jump off the bike and burst into tears!!

I got home and cried in my man's arms, I was so down and I couldn't understand why. I was late for my period, but I put that down to all the training. I said to Sterling, maybe we should do a pregnancy test, just for piece of mind, then we can cross that off and get to the bottom of why I was feeling so tired and miserable!

So off we went down to the pharmacy, my emotions were flying all over the place. I mean, as if I could be, and what if I was, and what will we do.

We did the test, and when I saw the result- positive- I burst out crying, I was in shock and disbelief. My first thoughts were, what about my career, my upcoming comps, my body attack presenting roll, its all over, all of these thoughts were soaring around my head.

I sat down and Sterling came and stood in front of me.. He started laughing, and had the biggest grin on his face.. He said to me.. I know this wasn't planned for us for right now, but I feel happy and I feel this has happened for a reason.. We hugged and there were tears of joy.. It was all so surreal.. OMG, we are having a baby!!!

So there we were sitting in an embrace discussing what had just happened and what we had to do next..

It was the strangest thing, once I had gotten over my ego and my own issues, I realised that this is what I have always wanted. I want to be a mother more than anything, and as much as it scares me, as it is the BIGGEST most challenging thing I will ever do in my life, I couldn't be more excited. I was looking forward to going to NZ and competing and finishing off my sports modelling career with a couple more titles, but at the end of the day, this has happened for a reason, and I can always go back to competing if I wanted to in the years to come.

The hardest decision came when I had to pull out of presenting Body Attack at the upcoming Melbourne workshops. I have been working my butt off to get up on that stage and present, but Body attack at the fitness level that is required for a quarterly is just something anyone in their 1st trimester shouldn't put their body through. Its just far too dangerous. I was so upset when I made the call to Nathan Jones(Body attack master trainer)to tell him that I had decided to stand down. I know my time will come again, I belong up there, it just means I have to work harder in a year or so to get there. But I am confident it will happen, it just gives me more drive and determination to achieve this a bit later on down the track.

It is so crazy how in one split second your whole life can change and you have to shift your focus completely away from where you were headed, and start to focus on heading in a direction that you hadn't even contemplated yet. I was on a one way track, I had all these things mapped out that I wanted to do in the next few years. But I guess that you cant always have the last say, and when you create new life with the person you love then there is NO reason why you cant bring that new life into this world.


From here my journey being pregnant gets very sad and unfortunately, we didnt have a happy ending.
We went in for our 10 week scan, we were both so excited to be able to see our wee bubs for the 1st time.
The lady doing the scan went quiet, then she said, " I dont want to alarm you but I cant find the heartbeat"
My heart sank and I burst out crying.. I just knew from that moment that it was over. We had to do an internal scan, just to be sure, and sure enough, the news was absolutely gut wrenching. The baby had died :( We had what is called a missed miscarriage. The baby had stopped living as there were abnormalitys in its formation.

She gave me and Sterls a few minutes, we lay there together in tears, this was one of the saddest moments of my life. I was in total disbelief.. HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO ME?? I gave up everything to protect our baby, I put my life on hold, and it still wasnt enough.
From that moment, everything was a blur. I was a crying mess for hours. Telling my mum and dad was so hard, they were so looking forward to becoming grandparents again.

I felt numb, it was like I was living a nightmare and I just kept expecting to wake up!
I had to go in and have surgery to have it removed the day after we found out, just like that, I wasnt pregnant anymore, I felt lost and empty!!

I have had SO much support from my friends and family, and I can not tell you how much this has helped me. My partner, even though he was grieving himself, has been a tower of strength, this whole journey has bought us closer than ever and I cant thank him enough for that!

Where to now??

I have to pick myself back up again and try and get my life back to some sort of normality. I can ask myself WHY and stay upset at this for the rest of my life, or I can accept that it is god's way, and it has happened for a reason, I have to be strong and take it day by day. I arent going to put too much pressure on myself to go out there and go hard again like I was before all this happened. I think becoming pregnant was the only thing that was going to slow me down, and boy did it do that.

I have a whole new percpective on life now, and it has opened my eyes up to the true meaning of life. Without sadness, we can not understand true happiness. We need to have the lows to appreciate the highs, that is the way life is, as hard as it is to accept sometimes.

I am going to see the year out and re-focus in the new year. We will take this opportunity to be more organised and set ourselves up to start a family when the time is right.

Obviously competing is out of the question for this year, and who knows what will come of next year. All I know is that I am thankful for all the amazing people I have in my life, I am going to take it day by day, and pick up the pieces as slow or as fast as I feel the need.


I am going to focus on getting my fitness back up, and enjoy a great summer with my amazing man, and my beautiful friends.
What ever the future holds, it looks bright, there is always light at the end of the tunnel!

Juz x

9 comments:

  1. beautifully written hun - and everything you said is so spot on, with the emotions of loss and the strength to move on.
    Im proud of you for feeling able to share this news with everyone, you will find that that too will make you stronger!!
    While im glad that either of us had to go through this, its so great to have each other to support and please know I will always be here for you - no matter the distance between us!
    Much love and strength to you both, Debs x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you made me tear up. I had no idea about your baby, I'm so sorry to hear that. I so admire your positive attitude and your honesty. You're a strong woman Justine. There's no positive in the loss of a child but I know you will find a way for it to make you stronger and give you a new way of looking at life. All the best to you and Sterling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really are an amazing person.

    I love reading your blogs, and I am very thankful to have the opportunity to do so.

    You have a sensational attitude and grasp on life.

    I hope you are proud of the person you are and have become throughout all your life challenges.

    Keep attacking life head on, as I'm sure you will.

    Nic x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor thing - what a heartbreaking thing to go through! I'm so sorry for your loss - you'll make a great mum when the time is right! Big hugs to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jusy - I just want to give you a big hug right now! I can only imagine the heartache and whirlwind of emotions who have been put through over the last 10 weeks. Your right: without rain we wouldn't appreciate the sunshine. Thanks for sharing, your story inspires me to draw closer to what's really important too.
    Thinking of you both xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jusy, honey thats so sad. Our love and thoughts are with you both.
    You wrote this tale so beautifuly. Its these tests in life that shape you and make you grow.
    A clairvoyant once told me that those little lost babies are yours forever and you get to meet them one day.
    Lis xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Babe...u r one hell of an amazing woman! To share such a personal experience is courageous. It is the experiences in life that make you who you are. A beautiful soul, who is full of wisdom and guidance, sharing that with others, helping us feel that we are not alone on this earth. We all have our trying times. I have experienced many miscarriages, this is the first time I have shared this with anybody, it has been too painful. My daughter is IVF. I cherish her with all my life. If it wasn't for her being in my life I'm not sure whether I would be here today and thats the truth. Thank you Juz for being human. I look at your pics and see all the greatness in your life that I sometimes think you are immortal. Your are human, but you are however an amazing soul too. Giulia C. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Justine, that is the most incredible blog i have read. I wanted to share with you my story to hopefully help you during this difficult time;

    I am now 35 - rewind 6yrs ago and my story is similar. My husband and I took 3yrs to concieve our first daughter, and eventually she came into our lives safely. But because it was such a difficult journey I chose not to use contraception after labour, in the event it takes another 3yrs. Well 4mths later....pregnany #2 followed by miscarriage at 10 weeks. By this stage my newborn was only 7mths old and I had hit rock bottom. Sleep deprived, post natal, grief stricken etc... and ultimatley undiagnosed depression. But I didnt give up hope. Then again 3mths after this first miscarriage I discover yet again I am pregnant #3. By now I have been pregnant 3 times over a 1yr period!!!! But the cycle continued and 10 weeks later another miscarriage.
    Was I fucked up or what??? Only to go and get pregnant again #4 within 3mths again, and this time safely give birth to my 2nd daughter. Both girls are exactly 2 yrs apart and in those 2 years I endured the most hormonal, emotional, roller coaster of my life.
    AND whilst all this was happening two things gave me energy and a brighter outlook (1) My loving and very understanding husband (2) my BODYATTACK and BODYPUMP classes. Keeping fit and healthy was the best thing I ever embraced.

    I know your pain. I've been there. So have many other people, but that doesnt matter because this is your hurt and your life and your body that has endured the biggest test of time.

    LOVE will bless you and give you the strength to carry on. You are MY inspiration and I look at you on FB and think UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE.....one hot chick that has achieved so much. Your heart is BIG, full of LOVE from your friends but mostly from your FAMILY.

    Justine all the responses on you FB, on your BLOG to your mobile, email....etc.....is an indication of how WIDE you have touched the universe and how you will always be a shining light.
    Yes, do take the time to breathe and recover. To love and be loved. And one day those beautiful little hands will touch you and say 'mummy i luv u', and you will know that any pain you have endured up until now was part of the journey.

    Luv Dani Bosancic xxx

    ReplyDelete